Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Well, here we go!

It isn't often I attack the unfolding day with p&v but today was such a day! Oddly I cannot even report that I profited by a particularly resuscitating sleep last night.  In fact I was awake throughout the night fussing on my iPhone to search for pill boxes and to uncover the precise meaning of some word which I've now sadly forgotten but which I overheard yesterday. I also resigned myself to the necessity of my late-morning attendance upon my hair stylist and the more pressing engagement tomorrow at a spine institute.  What a laugh it is that these trifling matters absorb me so!

Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets.

Ecclesiastes King James Version (KJV)

Such is the undeniable amortization of living that we must inevitably face that tawdry prospect! But until that fateful misfortune I am fortified to address the soulful summons of the New Year. By sheer chance I have subdued the intervening particles of disturbance in my pallid existence. Walmart has pill boxes for under $6; words do indeed have a traceable etymology; the consummation of my petty commitments is at hand; I've judiciously repelled my consuming tactile urge to commission or buy an 18K bauble or yet another watch; I've snapped my fingers at unlettered estate agents and improbable newspaper editors; years of obligations as a delegated attorney have been skilfully acquitted; and for now we have only to contemplate the spectacle of the jade waters of the Florida Keys and its soothing warmth.

Meanwhile the Atlantic Ocean is roiling and the winds are high.  It is the coldest here it has been in the past eight years! The fervid condominium president was clad in a full-length mahogany mink, Queen Lucia! Yet in spite of the forbidding weather I am consumed by an agreeable air. There can be no question that I am coming off the snapping tail end of a roundabout year. To my utter surprise my ancient relative's stock summation that it will all work out has proven to be true!  No wonder I have a native optimism!  What's bred in the bone will out in the flesh! And Mitt Romney - Trump's Nightmare - looms on the horizon!  I can barely contain my ebullience!  Never before have I enthused so gleefully about the year to come!  The feeder lane to this buoyancy is the swearing in of Doug Jones (who defeated Judge Roy Moore in Alabama) and Tina Smith (to replace Al Franken). 

On January 3, Tina Smith will be sworn in to replace Al Franken as the junior US senator from Minnesota. The resignation of a male senator confessing to sexual misconduct, and his almost immediate replacement by a woman, is symbolic of an extraordinary period in American history. It also likely foreshadows a massive shift: the titanic infusion of women into leadership at all levels of government.

I rejoice as well to imagine that many of my family and friends are basking in a similar revival. Call it a demographic amalgam - the evolution of population sectors young and old, the achievement of what turns out to be as mathematically predictable as doubling your money every ten years.  It's all paying off!  Corners have been turned; people have come of age; money has not disappeared but just changed hands; events have at last transpired (including somewhat regrettably those we feared were in the shadows); accommodations have been made (even if reluctantly); realities have been embraced. Hang onto your hat, here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment