Monday, March 4, 2019

Not long now!

Just over four weeks from now we'll be on our way back to Canada, winding up our 6-month stint on Longboat Key. Although our plans may change slightly in the meantime we're currently scheduled to depart on Saturday, April 6th and estimated to return on Tuesday, April 9th just shy of 180 days on April 13th. I am anticipating that the next month here will afford ideal weather. Today was an insight into that forecast.

I slept slightly later than normal today - until about 8:25 am - an acceptable extension under the circumstances. It wasn't until noon that I completed my breakfast and morning ablutions and rode on my bicycle to Bayfront Park. I didn't remain long on the bench at the Park partly because the view was not especially captivating, partly because I wasn't convinced when my "regularity" would kick in but primarily because I wanted to get on the beach to grill my carcass. I landed there around 2:30 pm, greeting His Lordship at the pool on my way to the seashore. He was just commencing his routine swimming laps amounting to 1.650 kms (1.025262 miles).  If that resounds as a vulgar display of strength I note that early this morning he had already completed a workout at the gym! The taxing price of athleticism!

There are approximately 20 chaises longues and 12 chairs on the beach for use by the residents of the condominium.  Though there was was a chaise longue with a towel on it (presumably that of the fisherman at the shore), I was the only one who stretched upon a chaise longue. Otherwise the beach was empty. Granted the sky was a mixture of rolling clouds and sunshine but it was predominantly clear.  Whenever the sun broke through the fluffy white clouds the heat was blazing! In the background the grains of sand swept noisily in the westerly wind.

Later I walked along the shore. Then I swam in the sea.  The tide was receding. The waves were relatively high, prompted by the wind. The shallow waters were exceptionally clear, that glorious emerald colour peculiar to the Gulf of Mexico. Significantly the water was warm, echoing the transparent creaminess of the wind.

Shortly before five o'clock as the sun dipped lower into the horizon I left the beach and prepared to go to Ace Hardware to buy a cheap washable rug for my bathroom.  The current rug was worn and damaged. The new one is somewhat nautical, alternating blue and white undulating lines reminiscent of waves.

We're working on setting up a meeting with Gulf Coast Property Management to review the terms of our lease next year.  They have just taken over the vacation rental portfolio of Michael Saunders & Company so we've run into an annoying delay in getting a response.


Post Scriptum

Music does it every time!  Our introduction to Apple Music is proving to be very satisfactory. As part of this technological improvement I am advised that Mr. Amazon will be delivering my new mini Bluetooth radio in the next three days.

I am just awakening to the myriad of possibilities through Apple Music. Reacquiring old favourites is making me uncommonly sentimental. I am experiencing a flood of memories arising from the sometimes peculiar occasions I associate with different music, from a windy, sunny day on the beach in Cape Cod to a sad moment at a movie theatre. Music is inevitably inspiring. A reminder to count the days in more than one way...


 Jerusalem
["And did those feet in ancient time"]

By William Blake

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon Englands mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God, 
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In Englands green and pleasant Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment