Monday, November 18, 2019

Relaxing by the pool...



Robert Krieger's life is quickly falling apart.

He’s been fired from his job, split with his sexy girlfriend, and has a controlling overbearing mother he feels obligated to call at least once a week. As a result, he’s developed a distressing anxiety disorder.

Robert lends money to an acquaintance across the hall in his building, a small-time drug dealer named Skids. When Skids is later assaulted by enforcers working for an inner-city drug gang, the Dragons, he hands Robert a package to hold for him until he either asks for it back, or dies.

Lonely but determined to find a new girlfriend, while jogging one morning Robert meets the beautiful and willowy Lindsay Marriott, whom he awkwardly begins to romance. Not long afterward, he finds himself in a bloody one-man war with the Dragons, who believe Robert possesses money Skids owes them.

Robert is soon juggling an increasing array of anxiety-heightening issues, which together conspire to wreak havoc on his fragile sanity.

Gritty and violent, ODDBALL IN 3G (by Marc Berlin) is a psychological thriller that’s also surprisingly funny.



The day did not begin on a genteel literary theme. Though it most certainly ended on one.  But before I acquitted myself poolside and met Marc Berlin (the kindly and stimulating author from Boston) I first had to endure spinal decompression. The therapeutic agenda nonetheless afforded me a sense of obligation which is otherwise notoriously wanting in this vacation idiom. Besides I like to drive my car and I haven't many other opportunities to do so, least of all to the extent of going to Bradenton Beach.


Following the conclusion of my conference with the learned chiropractor I wasn't long fulfilling my habitual bicycle ride.  The weather was fine and the temperature had risen noticeably above the shocking cool of yesterday. My subsequent dip in the sea, while refreshing, hadn't the tropical allure of last week.  The water was more turbulent and as a result less clear.  Yet I adore the salt water whatever its commotion. My swim in the sea was partly an act of duty since I know that as the days grow shorter the opportunity to do so will diminish commensurately.  I don't regret being resigned to the pool but I prefer the sea.


Our poolside chat revitalized my interest in humanity and current affairs - both of which were touched upon in the most discrete but telling manners. So invigorating to know that one is at liberty to dwell upon these sometimes sensitive though stimulating subjects!

No comments:

Post a Comment