Thursday, October 12, 2017

Breakfast at the Mississippi Golf Club

If there is one thing about which I can opine with undisputed authority it's bacon and eggs! Since the age of 14 years when I began attending boarding school I have had the privilege of having breakfast served to me on almost a daily basis.  Upon subsequently attending undergraduate university to study Philosophy I lived in residence on campus and frequented the dining room there on an equally regular basis.  The only haitus from this entitlement was in law school when I lived at Domus Legis and shared apartments with colleagues.  Then we were responsible to prepare our own meals (and I confess the culinary descent was unmistakeable).  But as soon as I began practicing law in Almonte I re-instituted the habit of matutinal chomping each day at the Superior Restaurant with colleagues and friends for the next 35 years.  Like some other regulars about whom I have since heard, it was possible to set the clocks by our morning ritual. In each of those instances the order of the day was bacon and eggs or some variation thereof.  The fat and protein content was central.

Though there is presently circulating considerable dispute about the effect of the low carbohydrate diet and the overwhelming preference for protein (meat, fish, eggs and cheese), and though I suffered the inconvenience of a near-death interruption from clogged arteries about ten years ago, I have nonetheless revived this beloved custom of bacon and eggs for breakfast.  When I am not entertaining myself at home with sliced ham, cheese, eggs, cherry tomatoes and shards of green pepper, it is always a treat to venture to the Mississippi Golf Club in the nearby Village of Appleton for breakfast prepared by the very efficient and talented Mrs. Wendy MacDonald, Chef and resident caterer.

The golf club venue clearly lends itself to elongation but the unqualified recommendation of the breakfast is the singular feature imparted thereto by Chef MacDonald. As trite as it may sound, the popular production of "eggs over easy" is sadly more often than not mere chance. At the Club however one is guaranteed to get what you order. The sausage is happily something resembling meat not bread stuffing. The tomatoe slices are thick and generous. And then there's the bacon!  Oh my!  As I only lately remarked to our fabled Chef, the bacon glistens with the patina of a gold wash!  If you want it crisp, then you shall have it so!

In deference to the preferences of others, I have it on good authority that the rye toast, peameal bacon and homefries are also beyond satisfaction. I cannot fail as well to note that the front-line workers are most agreeable and always uplifting.  Many of them are clearly talented young people who have but temporarily arrested their passage in life by serving at the restaurant.  All of which is to say that everything conspires to sustain a thoroughly pleasant experience for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment