Friday, October 6, 2017

Mindset

A really good meal or a pleasant day requires a mindset. I have to be locked into a certain predisposition. This alone presumes one is in control, an additive which admittedly isn't always the case - at least if one discounts aimlessly ricocheting from one stimulus to another (the sad product of evolution instead of determination). You see, there's the crunch when it comes to mindset - does it restrict what you are or does it enable what you'll become?  I have opted for the latter.  For one thing I have never viewed any of my accomplishments in life as any other than the product of effort.  This isn't me being hopelessly modest - I honestly don't harbour any miscalculation of my innate capacity -  but neither do I concede that my ambitions when cojoined with application are valueless.

Given the limitless spread of experience and personal vernacular it would be impossible to predict life with any particularity. Instead one must be guided by principles, overriding pure and uncontaminated theses which direct one's attention. And like the archer it doesn't hurt to aim high to hit the target.  I suspect that it is this theory of elevation which insinuates most of my more favourable productions. To be forceful a mindset must be more than a habit - certainly if it is in danger of becoming a bad habit.  At the outside the mindset must be an inclination and the broader it is, the more focused upon tapping into a seam of inspiration and achievement, then of course the more likely it is to promote advantage.  This too can be a mindset; one needn't be bound to a lesser initiative.

In fairness I suppose I quell some of the synthetic element of self-advocacy by confessing there are limits upon what can be undertaken and done.  I don't for example see the sky as the limit.  Of course there are limits.  Everything has limits.  That's not the problem.  The problem is how to devise the scheme for getting the most out of what you've got.  That's the mindset.  But I'm not about to lapse into a Tony Robbins mantra about "waking the giant within"!  Really!

The cultivation of this sometimes rude disposition does however require certain favourable conditions.  If for example one is currently overwhelmed with preoccupation then one isn't by definition alive to other possibilities.  This means there is a time and place for the creativity of experience, we're incapable of multitasking to the extent that we're forever open to boundless opportunity.  But when the occasion permits - when we're momentarily released from the skepticism and anxiety of life - then the chance exists to discover the simple pleasures we're afforded by our largely simple lives. I say this not with any intention of being demeaning. I actually believe that the greatest pleasures are those most accessible and casual, not whimsical or accidental (though certainly they can be at times).

No comments:

Post a Comment