Sunday, October 14, 2018

Geriatric Florida

This morning we began the last leg of our 4-day journey from Canada to Longboat Key on the Gulf of Mexico. South Carolina (where we hung our hat last evening) is a comparatively large State.  It was several hours before we had succeeded to drive out of it into Georgia whence the transition to Florida was a mere skip. It likely signals a descent into a decrepit state of mind that my awakening curiosity encircles birds and plants. I can't pretend that I have ever been an ornithologist or botanist but undeniably the exoteric features of nature in Georgia and Florida have intrigued me.

The common starling or grackle for example has such a shrill call that I couldn't ignore it. To my thinking this particular local bird is either more prolific than its northern cousins or maybe just gregarious. I am however more certain about the singularity of the sea pine which stands particularly tall and never appears to retain its lower branches.

Nor can I overlook the restful effect of Spanish Moss.

The Palmetto fern is a unique brand of palm tree.  It is generally lower and more fern-like than the traditional palm tree. We first began to see palms in South Carolina; then they became more frequent in Florida.  Palms of any description are more provocative than cedar hedges in my opinion.

Nothing quite captures the Southern flavour like biscuits and gravy (which formed part of our breakfast this morning). We also enjoyed pecans with a sliced banana and honey.

We have every intention of violating dietary restrictions at least until our arrival on the barrier island tomorrow (when we propose to commence our rigid perseverance of celery, water and air).  This means that tonight will be our last hurrah!

Forrest Gump (played by Tom Hanks in 1994) says, "My mom always said life was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get."

No comments:

Post a Comment