Friday, October 11, 2019

Repositioning

I'm guessing it was the Golden Maples syrup. I was awake throughout the night. To my discredit I was slurping the stuff from the jug before going to bed. Somewhere I recall having read that maple syrup performs magic so I am wholeheartedly committed to the possibility.

"Yes, pure maple syrup is not only high in antioxidants, but every spoonful offers nutrients like riboflavin, zinc, magnesium, calcium and potassium. According to Helen Thomas of the New York State Maple Association, maple syrup has a higher concentration of minerals and antioxidants, yet fewer calories than honey."

After a restless sleep approaching dawn I awoke from my shadowy dreams to recall that we intended to cast our votes today at the advance polling station.  This is always an assured stimulus. The conviction amounts to the same enthusiasm one has when buying a lottery ticket. At the polling station Sgt. Maj. Officiant stood stone-faced like a statue ahead of the line. We adopted the status of a democratic mass and obeisantly tendered our ID cards while awaiting production of the ballot. The act of deliberation was unambiguously executed behind the cardboard cloak. The evidence was then suppressed into the narrow rectangular gash atop the ballot box.  That duty was performed!

We rewarded the performance of our civic duty by directing ourselves to the golf club for a portion of protein and homemade muffins while languidly sipping coffee and overlooking the verdant greens. It is Thanksgiving weekend. Although we have succeeded to remove ourselves from the customary familial congregation, it is nonetheless apposite to recall all for which we should express our gratitude. Though the fervency of my dedication to indebtedness is transparent, I confess to the addition - or perhaps it is better stated as a qualification - of the temporal condition.  That is, the stream which flows beneath abundance is the recollection that it will all become exhausted. It may sound to be poor sport to tranquillize the pure gusto of Thanksgiving with the chemical restraint of reality, but there it is! Personally I do not view the temperance as anything more than greater cause to enjoy what is. It may suffer the calculated foresight of a heartless mind to disparage the inevitability of life but I rather prefer to see it as all the more reason for immediate indulgence. Did I mention the vulgar consumption of maple syrup? I have long approved not saving it for the funeral!

The expiation of our guilt afterwards transpired in a 13 km bicycle ride along the now defunct railway right-of-way.  The dome above us was azure.  The fields were a pleasant mixture of hues.

No comments:

Post a Comment