Saturday, August 3, 2019

Keegan Kit

It's a silly adage, but so often I find it's true - that things come in threes.  At times I become nervous about the legitimacy of the slogan especially when it appears to relate predictably to unfortunate or undesirable events.  Today's emanation is however happily more amusing and topical than spooky.  Its immediate texture involves paternalistic relations and progression. Specifically the initial outpouring came from Succession, a television black comedy series on HBO. Its scope encompasses the well-known binary tussles between individual and family, between cerebral and visceral, soul and mortality, art and commerce.

The second evolution of the theme serendipitously involves an encounter I had with a young man who both in appearance and vernacular resembles Greg Hirsch, one of the lead characters in Succession. Hirsch (played by Nicholas Braun) is a grandnephew of the head of the corporate conglomerate in the satirical drama.  My acquaintance turns out to be the nephew of the owner of the business where our paths crossed today and where he works as an employee.  It was this chance meeting which inspired a heartfelt study of the competing avenues of art and business.

The third - and as yet not fully disclosed - manifestation of the initial theme of sequence is a social gathering we've been invited to attend tomorrow to celebrate the 90th birthday of a local business patriarch. I can at least safely expect that the congregation will include all immediate members of the successful man's large family. It is a community with which I have had the privilege of being aligned for over forty years; and I therefore indulge myself in no small degree of knowledge and sentiment.

As the cornstalks grow high in the fields, as the cicadas commence their soporific drone, as the summer approaches the autumn, my mind wanders like a stream through its channels. I savour these ruminations.  The is no threat of being either trivial or worrisome.

Primavera

It is for me the Sacrament of Heaven to relish the complexity of experience and intellectualism provoked by these entirely unwitting episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment