Friday, February 22, 2019

Summary of Material


"It is very hard for the mind to disengage itself from a subject in which it has been long employed.  The thoughts will be rising of themselves from time to time, though we give them no encouragement: as the tossings and fluctuations of the sea continue several hours after the winds are laid."

Addison, Joseph. “Essays and Tales

From the beach by the condominium, looking northward towards Anna Maria Island, one can see a pier projecting into Gulf of Mexico.  I walked there again today, along the frothing shore, passing by the secluded, tranquil condominiums.  The distance is about one mile. When approaching the pier I saw an older gentleman carrying fishing gear making his way to the end of the pier.  At the start of the pier there was a long-beaked bird resembling a Great Blue heron standing motionless, presumably awaiting trove from the fisherman. Even later when a mother and daughter - and subsequently two young women - walked along the pier to the end, the bird remained in situ. His formal wear lent him the presence of determination and respectability.

Meanwhile I too did my utmost not to disturb the fowl.  I sat on the edge of the pier adjoining the beach, my legs dangling in the water, almost touching the sand.  Each time the waves crashed along the side of the pier the power of the sea was like a massage upon my lower limbs and feet, heaving in and pulling back.  I imagined that the underwater commotion of the tiny grains of sand was polishing my toe nails as well. I sat there for some length of time, relishing the lack of purpose and ambition.  The sky was perfectly clear and the sun was hot. The sea has acquired an increased jade colour, made all the more luminous by the clear water today.

After walking back to my chaise longue I swam in the sea.  The water was warm but still fresh.  Before my initial plunge I dashed some sea water on my face - as a kind of preparatory scheme, though really unnecessary as an incentive.  The increased size of the waves eventually made submersion a distinction without a difference. Instantly I tasted the salt water on my lips and felt the undeniable softness of the sea. For reasons I do not pretend to understand I swim comfortably with my eyes open under water. I am of the opinion that the sea water is salubrious on every level.

No comments:

Post a Comment